Hi! My name is Ashton. I am a wife, a first grade teacher, and a dog mom. I am striving to live a happy, healthy, and balanced life, and hopefully inspire you to do the same. I am a cross trainer and yogi. I try to push myself to step out of my comfort zone in many areas of my life to challenge myself to keep growing. My main goal is to stay mentally healthy. I want to emphasize working out to feel good and create a healthy lifestyle. The goal is not to change my body, but love myself no matter what.
Usually I sneak around trying to be quiet before I workout in the morning. Last week, my husband was on a trip so I turned on T. Swift right when I woke up (Yes, I am 27 years old, and I still love T. Swift). This got me pumped up to start my workout.
Then, I wasn’t in the mood to work out a couple days later. Suddenly, I had an idea to turn on pandora for some workout inspiration BEFORE a workout to get me fired up, and it got me moving to go run. Sometimes, it just takes some favorite musical motivation to work out. Turn on your favorite song and get moving!
Have you heard of the 80/20 rule for healthy eating? It means to eat healthy and “clean” 80% of the time and indulge a little the other 20%. It helps me enjoy the foods that I love in moderation.
I love ice-cream, and at one point I cut it out of my diet completely. When I told myself over and over again that I couldn’t have it, then it made me feel unhappy. Sometimes, I would feel unsatisfied and eat something more of something else later. If I would have just ate the ice-cream in moderation in the first place, then I would have been more satisfied and not felt like I was depriving myself of things that I love. The 80/20 rule makes it easier to keep my body healthy, and it helps me enjoy the foods that I love without feeling guilty.
“Moderation” is the key word here for me and watching the serving size. An indulgence does not mean to completely overdo it and eat and drink however much of whatever I want every weekend. It is not always planned either. I try not to schedule “cheat” days because then I feel like I have been depriving myself the other times. If I like something, I may eat a little more of it. I like to try to indulge within reason. If I have a slip up, I tell myself I am only human. I eat a healthy breakfast the next day and get back on track! Don’t be too hard on yourself!
Berry Coconut Overnight Oats
This recipe combines cold oats, fresh berries, coconut, and cashews for a refreshing summer breakfast.
2 minPrep Time
- 1/2 C. Rolled Oats
- 1/2 C. Milk
- 2 T. Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 C. Chopped Strawberries
- 1/4 C. Blueberries
- 1 T. Chopped Cashews
- 1 t. Unsweetened Coconut
- Mix oats, milk, and yogurt in a mason jar and let it set overnight or for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
- Stir the oats when you take them out of the fridge, and add a tsp. of water at a time if the mixture is too thick. Add strawberries, blueberries, chopped cashews, and coconut. Then stir and enjoy!
Notes: I used coconut cashews from Aldi and crushed them to add to the coconut taste.
Also, I chose to use 2% Milk. Dairy products that contain fat help balance blood sugar and keep you feeling full for longer. You may use any kind of milk you prefer though. Coconut milk is a delicious variation.
Nutrition: 350 Calories, 15g Protein, 10g Fat, 50g Carbs, 15g Sugar
When I get in a workout rut, sometimes I just need to try a new exercise. I start to get comfortable or want to do one type of workout for a while. I eventually get bored and don’t want to workout anymore though. This is when I challenge myself to try a new workout. I may look up something new or try a different class. I may just switch to something that I haven’t done in a while. I try to listen to what I really want to do that day to keep myself happy. Some people say to plan your workouts for the week, but that doesn’t always work for me. I like to have a tentative plan in mind, but then I also listen to my body and see how I am feeling. Keeping yourself happy in your workouts is key. I try to continuously change it up and keep it fun. I try to pick things that I will enjoy doing and think about how I will feel afterward. It pushes my comfort zone when I try something new and helps me feel accomplished and happy!
Today I am going to Zumba! I haven’t done it in at least a few years! I just needed to change it up. Will you try something new today?